Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Fire destroys USU extension building in St. George

Published: Thursday, January 9, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 9, 2014 00:01

fire

Jud Burkett | The Spectrum & Daily News

A fire broke out at the USU Extension in St. George Wednesday morning. An employee saw smoke exiting an air vent in the ceiling around 9 a.m. Three employees attempted to put out the fire but were unsuccessful. They immediately called 911.

 

Fire crews arrived at the scene a few minutes after the call came in. They said the fire was started by a ventilation fan in the building that short-circuited, causing the blaze. All three employees in the building made it out safely with no injuries.

 

The building is considered a total loss. Rick Heflebower, county director of the St. George extension, said most of the meeting rooms and classrooms in the building were completely destroyed.

 

“I think it is time for us to find a new home,” Heflebower said in an interview with Utah Public Radio.

 

The St. George extension is one of 33 extension offices USU has around the state. They offer online and broadcast classes for students across the nation. They are home to a variety of programs, including Utah 4-H, a program designed to help youth learn more about the field of agriculture.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!





log out