Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Hockey loses on senior night

Utes top Aggies in last game before St. Louis

staff writer

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 00:02

Utah State’s hockey team had its senior night spoiled by the University of Utah on Friday after a 3-2 loss in overtime at the George S. Eccles Ice Center in North Logan.

Senior forward Matt Hamilton was honored by head coach Jon Eccles before the game started and earned an ovation from the crowd.

“It was awesome,” Hamilton said. “The fans packed the house and it was just a great feeling.”

Aggie captain Brian Gibbons played his first game against the Utes after being forced to miss the first two due to disqualifications. He was excited for the chance to finally play against the in-state rivals.

“This is a game that I definitely had marked on the calendar,” Gibbons said.

In his first and only game against the Utes, Gibbons scored both Utah State goals eight seconds apart in a crazy first period.

There were ten total penalties called in the first period, and at one point teams skated in a very rare three-on-three for a few seconds when both teams were called for two penalties at the same time.

The referee had a talk with both coaches to let them know what was happening on the ice.

“He was getting a little frustrated with the way the guys were acting on the ice and talking on the ice and also by what was happening,” Eccles said.

During one series of four-on-four skating, the Utes opened up the scoring by beating Aggie goalie Bryce Scherschel, who made 42 saves on the night.

During another series of four-on-four with 2:12 remaining in the first period, Gibbons scored his first of back-to-back goals by finding the top corner. Eight seconds later, a Gibbons slap shot beat the Ute goalie and Utah State had its first and only lead of the game.

The game remained tied until 12:04 of the third period when the Utes tied the game at two.

Utah State had three power play opportunities in the final ten minutes of the game, but couldn’t get one to the back of the net to take back the lead. Regulation ended in a tie and the teams went to five minutes of four-on-four, sudden-death overtime.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out