Body image fair boosts self confidence
The Student Health and Wellness Center teamed up with graduating dietetic majors to put on a body image fair as a part of their senior practicum project.
The fair was essentially a live Pinterest board that included pictures, movies and quotes about body image. There were three aspects to the fair: negative self-talk, how the media skew body image and how to focus on a positive self-image through self-gratification.
Melodie Haslam helped put together the body image fair for her senior project. She said it is important to focus on a positive body image, especially for college students.
“The media has skewed positive body image, not only for women, but men too,” Haslam said.
Nichole Schollars, a sophomore studying nursing, said media don’t portray a realistic body image.
“I feel like a lot of girls get degraded from the high expectations that the media sets,” Schollars said.
Maria Sorensen, a freshman majoring in human movement science, said the fair stressed the importance of eating a healthy, balanced diet as well as exercising.
“The fair demonstrated that there wasn’t just one body type that we are striving for,” Sorensen said.
Haslam said eating healthy is important to a healthy body image.
“People get obsessed with food,” Haslam said. “I want to help them establish a positive relationship with it.”
Jordan Price, a freshman studying economics, visited the exhibit.
“Everybody deserves self confidence,” Price said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More USU Statesman News Articles
Recent USU Statesman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USU STATESMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USU STATESMAN NEWS
RECENT USU STATESMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest