Post Classifieds

Fire destroys USU extension building in St. George

On January 9, 2014

A fire broke out at the USU Extension in St. George Wednesday morning. An employee saw smoke exiting an air vent in the ceiling around 9 a.m. Three employees attempted to put out the fire but were unsuccessful. They immediately called 911.

 

Fire crews arrived at the scene a few minutes after the call came in. They said the fire was started by a ventilation fan in the building that short-circuited, causing the blaze. All three employees in the building made it out safely with no injuries.

 

The building is considered a total loss. Rick Heflebower, county director of the St. George extension, said most of the meeting rooms and classrooms in the building were completely destroyed.

 

“I think it is time for us to find a new home,” Heflebower said in an interview with Utah Public Radio.

 

The St. George extension is one of 33 extension offices USU has around the state. They offer online and broadcast classes for students across the nation. They are home to a variety of programs, including Utah 4-H, a program designed to help youth learn more about the field of agriculture.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More USU Statesman News Articles

Recent USU Statesman News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

Log In

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Log In

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format