Aggies sweep Mavericks
Senior Josselyn White led a balanced offensive attack as the Utah State volleyball team swept the University of Texas Arlington on the road Saturday.
After cruising through the first set 25-14, the Aggies won a couple of tight sets to complete the sweep. The Mavericks fought back from a 20-17 deficit in the second set to tie the game at 22, only to see USU go on a 3-0 run to close it out.
White had seven kills in the set to lead all players and sophomore Rachel Orr added four.
Up two sets, the Aggies jumped out to a 5-1 lead and seemed like they would cruise to the finish, but the Mavericks fought back from a 22-17 deficit with a 7-2 run to force the third set to go beyond the regular 25 points.
USU would not be denied and White gave the Aggies a pair of kills and freshman Elle Brainard added another to get the 27-25 win. The Aggies hit .293 for the match behind 17 kills from White and 11 from fellow senior Shay Sorensen.
Utah State improved to 5-1 in Western Athletic Conference play, part of a 10-5 record overall. The Mavericks fell to 6-11 overall with a 2-3 record in WAC play.
The Aggies will return home for season-long five-game homestand starting Oct. 4 against New Mexico State. The red-Aggies currently sit tied atop the WAC standings with the blue-Aggies at 5-1, but are one game better overall at 11-4.
First serve is set for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More USU Statesman News Articles
Recent USU Statesman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USU STATESMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USU STATESMAN NEWS
RECENT USU STATESMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?