Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Students evacuate for TSC fire alarm

Alarm tripped because cooking fan wasn't running

news editor

Published: Friday, January 25, 2013

Updated: Friday, January 25, 2013 13:01

TSCfireAlarm2

TAGGART STUDENT CENTER EMPLOYEES gather outside the building after a fire alarm on Friday. DELAYNE LOCKE photo

A fire alarm forced an evacuation of the TSC on Friday at approximately 10:30 a.m.

USU Fire Marshall Steve Bell said a charbroiler grill in the HUB was being used without the fan, which caused smoke to seep out.

“When you don’t have the fan on smoke backs up the hood and comes out,” Bell said. “When they realized the fan wasn’t on, they ran over, turned the fan on. When they opened up the door, the smoke came out the door and hit the detector.”

Bell said Friday’s incident was the first time in more than a year that a fire alarm has gone off in the TSC.

“Somebody just made a mistake today, it was human error,” Bell said.

tavin.stucki@aggiemail.usu.edu
Twitter: StuckiAggies

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!





log out