Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

USU loses to BYU

Aggie football loses 3-6 to Cougars

sports editor

Published: Saturday, October 6, 2012

Updated: Saturday, October 6, 2012 13:10


BYU's Taysom Hill stiffarms Utah State's Kyler Fackrell duing the game at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo on Friday, Oct. 5. CURTIS RIPPLINGER photo


KEYWYNN WILLIAMS IS TACKLED by BYU's Ezekiel Ansah after a short pass during the game at LaVell Edwards stadium in Provo on Oct. 5. CURTIS RIPPLINGER photo


BOJAY FILMOEATU WALKS OFF the field after a loss to BYU in Provo at LaVell Edwards stadium on Oct. 5. CURTIS RIPPLINGER photo

PROVO ‒ For the second-straight year, Utah State head coach Gary Andersen had to watch BYU walk off LaVell Edwards Field with The Old Wagon Wheel after BYU’s 6-3 victory over his Aggies on Friday.

Utah State took a 3-0 lead late into the second quarter and seemed to close out the half, but BYU freshman quarterback Taysom Hill marched the Cougars 61 yards in 28 seconds to take the lead on a 3-yard pass to junior wide receiver J.D. Falslev.

“We can’t allow that with 30 seconds left,” said Aggie freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell. “I think the hurry-up caught us off guard a little bit.”

A missed point-after attempt left the score at 6-3.

Falslev, a Sky View High School product, had four catches for 17 yards and the game’s only touchdown.

“We got beat by a very good football team in a very, very difficult place to play,” Andersen said.

Despite the breakdown, Utah State’s defense kept the Aggies in the game. USU forced the Cougars to kick a field goal with 4:25 to go before halftime and Utah State junior Paul Piukala blocked Justin Sorenson’s kick to keep BYU off the scoreboard.

Aggie quarterback Chuckie Keeton couldn’t get anything going for the Aggies, finishing 22-38 for 202 yards.

The Aggies had a chance to score late in the third quarter, marching down to the BYU 30, but junior Cameron Webb’s wide receiver pass was picked off on the 2-yardline by BYU’s Preston Hadley.

After another 15 minutes of power defense by both teams, Fackrell picked off a pass and gave the offense possession around midfield, but Utah State left points off the scoreboard when junior kicker Josh Thompson missed a 38-yarder wide left with 7:47 left in the game.

“It was very frustrating, especially when Kyler made a good play to put us in position to score and to win the game,” Austin said. “You can’t blame anybody. It was a team game, so I mean we just didn’t execute in a lot of different ways.”

The Aggie offense was held off the scoreboard for the first time this season, the first time a USU team didn’t score a touchdown since Nov. 20, 2010, against Idaho.

“Of course they were a great defense, but it wasn’t too difficult. We just didn’t execute our game plan,” Austin said. “I feel like, man, if we would have executed our plays and didn’t have a few dropped balls, the outcome of the game would have been on our side.”

Austin finished with seven catches for 72 yards and BYU held the Aggies to 243 total yards.

Andersen said the game was a lost opportunity to prove USU as the best team in the state.

“You’ve got to capitalize,” Andersen said. “It’s one thing to score points against a defense that may not be as good as some of the other ones, but you’re going to have to face a great defense at some point and you’ve got to score some points.”

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out