Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Women's soccer lose first round of NCAA tournament after weather delay

staff writer

Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:11

Midfielder winds up to boot a ball downfield.

JUNIOR MIDFIELDER KENDRA PEMBERTON winds up to boot a ball downfield in USU’s WAC Championship win over Denver University on Nov. 4. CURTIS RIPPLINGER photo

A successful and promising season of Utah State women’s soccer came to an end on Saturday. The Aggies traveled to Provo to take on BYU in the first round of the NCAA College Cup and fell 2-1 against a BYU squad that earned a No.1 seed in the tournament and are ranked second in the nation.


“It’s obviously disappointing to lose, especially at this point of the season when you lose you go home,” USU head coach Heather Cairns said. “That was the No. 2 team in the country and it was 2-1 and we had our chances. We hung with them and were the better team at times. I’m so proud of this team and the way they fought. I couldn’t be prouder.”


The game was originally scheduled to be played on Friday night but was postponed until Saturday due to the snow accumulation on the field.


The Aggies finished the season with a 13-3-6 record. The three losses are the fewest in school history, with two of those losses coming against the Cougars. The first meeting took place on Sept. 20 when USU hosted No. 12 BYU and Cougars came away with a 1-0 victory after Dana Oldroyd scored the lone goal of the match in the 10th minute.


USU went into the game Saturday as the WAC tournament champions and were riding an 11 game unbeaten streak. BYU entered the game with an 18-1-1 record and hadn’t lost in 17 games en route to winning the West Coast Conference regular season and tournament titles.


“This was an incredibly hard draw,” Cairns said. “This was a testament to how hard our girls play and to how talented they are.”


The Aggies are now 0-11 all-time against their rivals from down south.


USU came out of the gates firing and earned a quick corner kick. Junior Jennifer Flynn had her shot sail over the crossbar.


The Cougars went on an attacking stretch of their own when they fired five shots at the USU goal in a matter of six minutes. The Aggies defense held strong just like they had other times during the season.


Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out